Thursday, September 6, 2007

Honeymoon is over!

We were warned in our pre-field training that we would experience several stages in our adjustment to a new country. The first was the honeymoon. Everything is great and new and exciting. An adventure awaits around every corner. That would last, so they said, about a month. Well, I've been here for 6 weeks now, and it's wearing off. I guess they know what they're talking about!
The next stage is culture shock, which has several parts--thinking the differences are odd, thinking the differences are annoying, thinking the differences are awful. Something like that. (After this phase is when you start to embrace the differences and know you've begun assimilating into the culture.) I wouldn't say that the differences are odd, annoying or awful...just different.
I've been here long enough that the newness of everything isn't quite so bright, and I'm able to feel the difference of my lifestyle a little. I still LOVE it here, no doubt about it. But I'm starting to notice that I don't have a lot of friends to go out with here, to go catch a movie with or talk over a cup of coffee. I don't have impromptu game nights at my place anymore. I'm not lonely, but I feel a little like I'm in limbo.
Why do I say all this? I'm not sure, except to put words to my emotions helps me to understand myself a little more. I'm progressing through the steps of adjustment, and if I realize this is what's happening, I can better interpret myself. ...Now I'm getting too psychological! :o)
God knows my personality's need for friendship and social-ness. He will provide for me what I need when I need it. My job is to remain content and joyful, looking to the Friend who knows no language barrier, who doesn't need a passport, and who isn't dependent on emails and blogs to be involved in my life! Because as the song goes...
All of You is more than enough for all of me,
For every thirst and every need.
You satisfy me with Your love.
And all I have in You is more than enough!!

No comments: